Local drop-in programs for toddlers
Now that the adults have ideas on what #kwawesome offers, here’s a list of no or low-cost drop-in programs that are toddler friendly. While the local libraries, Early Years Centres, and some community centres / associations have great programs for children and caregivers, most of them require registration. I didn’t take Bean to many programs when she was younger because they were all offered in the morning, which conflicted with her morning nap; now that she’s just napping in the afternoon, these times work better for us. Drop-in programs are also great for us because it allows flexibility: on low-key days, or the times we don’t have the car or the weather isn’t bussing or walking friendly, we can choose to stay in.
This list is really to help me keep a track of what’s being offered during the fall and winter terms around us (the start of summer usually means the end of some programs):
- Mondays: Tot Spot at Downtown Community Centre, 9:30-11:30 AM $2/tot
- Tuesdays: Freedom KW (church): Preschool Playgroup, 9:30-11:00 AM free, Kitchener Market Family Yoga or Erick Traplin, kids music performer, 11:00-noon free
- Wednesdays: to be determined, but you can always bring them to The Museum ($5 admission Wednesdays, free for child under 3)
Or join Early Years Centre for Music and Movement (offered weekdays. Songs with actions and parachute fun), 11:30-noon free (gym open for use prior to program), or Creekside Church indoor playground, 9:30-11:30 AM free (Monday – Thursday, unstructured free play)
- Thursdays: Glen Cairn (church): Little Lights Playgroup, 9:30-11:30 AM free. Free play, circle time with songs (actions), some bible songs, a bible story, and snacks
- Fridays: Parent-Child Resource Centre at Salvation Army (church) drop-in, 9:15-11:15 $1/pp Free play, circle time with songs, snacks, Babies and Books (Words Worth Bookstore), 10:30-11:00 free, story time and songs
- Saturdays: craft activity, story time at the Kitchener Market (upstairs), 10:00-?? free
Note: days and times may change depending on the season. Check the affiliated organizations for any updates.
Leave a Reply